In the spirit of 0x Protocol’s decentralization and ownership by the community, I’d like to initiate a two-step process to build a refreshed governance portal for 0x Protocol and its community.
In 2023, 0x Protocol Governance aims to move fully on-chain for both protocol upgrades and treasury disbursements. The goal of this transition is to make 0x Protocol uncensorable and unstoppable.
On a technical side, a new set of smart contracts were developed over the course of Q4 ‘22 and Q1 ‘23 to serve as the new governance system. The output of this work can be found here: https://github.com/0xProject/protocol/pull/641.
To complete this governance migration, we need a new governance application that connects with the new governance smart contracts. Because of some deviations to the OZ governor interface that were made for the longevity and security of the governance system, there is no out-of-the-box governance interface that it can be integrated with. As such, some custom work is needed.
As a governance portal would be an application that benefits the entire community, I believe that this could be a scope of work that is funded by the treasury.
In the sections below, I’m suggesting the requirements and a process that can be taken to manage this work.
To ensure that ZRX holders and the community around 0x Protocol has the ability to guide the future of both 0x Protocol and the treasury, the Governance Portal must provide a unified app for all on-chain governance relation actions.
At a high level, the core actions within the new governance smart contracts that must be supported are
- deposit ZRX/withdraw for ZRX
- delegate voting power (to oneself or others)
- create on-chain proposal
- vote on on-chain proposal
- execute on-chain proposal.
Beyond that, there are a few functionalities that should exist
- discover all governance participants that a tokenholder can delegate to
- help a tokenholder decide which governance participant to delegate to
- discover all proposals, active or in-active
- help a governance participant decide their stance on an active proposal
Finally, nice to haves with the Governance Portal are
- share quantitative metrics that are associated with the “health” of the community
- serve as a hub for all related tools that governance participants need
Below is the full set of milestones for the overall build of a new 0x Protocol Website but this forum post is intended to start the process of recruiting developers to work on this project (steps 1-4).
- Open application w/o price specifications
- Interview (performed by @ericwong and @mintcloud)
- Selected applicants provide price specifications
- Select governance portal developer
- Grant process to obtain funding from Community Treasury
- Testing & Q&A
This is the same process as described in the 0x Protocol Website RFP.
If you’d like to be considered to build the new 0x Protocol Governance Portal, reply to this forum thread using the following template — individuals and teams are equally encouraged to apply. Please leave the prompts intact and answer on the same line.
Contact information (email, twitter, discord):
Link to past work (Github, portfolio, personal/company website):
Conflicts of Interest: [optional]
Applications are to be considered on a rolling basis - @mintcloud and @ericwong will keep this forum updated with the initial screening process and when there is a sufficient shortlist of candidates to move forward to the next phase of final selection.
- Open source development practices
- Thorough documentation
- Decentralized/Open source hosting service
To conclude, a 0x Protocol Governance Portal is a 0x community asset, meaning that it should be built by and for the community.
With that in mind, I’m proposing that we open up an open bounty to build a new governance portal that wraps around the smart contracts recently developed.
I believe this could open up more opportunities to expand community participation from voting to building concrete parts of the 0x platform and serve as a model that can be applied to other parts of the 0x ecosystem.